Morning Shift, 9:30am to 12pm: Tuesday to Saturday
Evening Shift, 5:30pm to 7:30pm: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights only!
CAT LOFT VOLUNTEERING & DOG ADOPTION HOURS ARE:
Tuesday through Saturday, 12:00 noon until 4:00 PM
Requirements for Volunteering at BARC:
- You must be at least 21 years old or be accompanied by a parent/guardian
- Bring picture ID and proof of address
- Complete a volunteer form (first visit only)
Volunteering with BARC is easy! We do not require our volunteers to go through an orientation and no scheduling is necessary, just stop by during the hours listed below.
Rain or shine our dogs need to be walked! Stop by BARC and enjoy a nice stroll with one of our dogs during one of the many shifts available-
- Morning Shift, 9:30am to 12:00pm: Tuesday - Friday (Unfortunately, we are not taking new volunteers on Saturdays for dog walking right now)
- Evening Shift, 5:30pm to 8:00pm: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights only
- (DOGS have to be back 30 minutes before cut-off time)
NY Cares Volunteer Teams walk dogs Sunday and Monday mornings (10:30-1pm) and Wed and Fri evenings (6-7:30pm). At these times we are not able to host individual volunteers.
There are no volunteer shifts on Saturday and Sunday evenings.
FROM MAY 15TH UNTIL AUGUST 1ST, DOGWALKING SCHEDULE ARE:
Morning Shift, 9:30am to 12pm: Tuesday only (some Saturdays, please give us a call whether we have a group booked)
Evening Shift, 5:30pm to 7:30pm: Monday, Tuesday and Thursday only
**SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE BUT DURING THESE DAYS (MAY 3 TO AUG 1), WE HAVE BIG GROUPS OF VOLUNTEERS BOOKED WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY
FRIDAY, AND SOME SATUDAYS AND WE WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY OTHER WALK-INS DURING THOSE TIMES.
(please call the shelter at (718) 486-7489 during office hours to check if we have groups booked)
What it takes to be a dog walker:
- You should be comfortable with energetic dogs and able to keep up with their physical activity level.
- Wear comfortable sneakers and clothes that can get dirty.
- You MUST be willing to pick up dog poop – it's the Law, and we are good neighborhood citizens. We will provide ample poop bags.
- You need to sign the volunteer sign-in sheet each time you come.
- You should bring a minimum of personal belongings as we have limited storage space (but carry your cell phone in case of an emergency!)
Volunteering in the Cat Loft:
Our cats need to be brushed, pet and socialized in our cat loft in order to promote healthy socialization. The cat loft is closed on Sundays and Mondays.
- 12pm to 4pm: Tuesday - Friday
What it takes to socialize with cats:
- Must love and be comfortable with cats of varying personalities – note some of our cats are loose in the loft.
- You should wear clothes that can get dirty.
- You should bring a minimum of personal belongings as we have limited storage space.
- You need to sign the volunteer sheet inside the store each time you come.